The Waldrop Firm, P.C. | Germantown, TN Divorce Attorney

Call For Your Free, 30-Minute Initial Consultation 901-410-1118

Call For Your Free, 30-Minute Initial Consultation 901-410-1118

Working On Your Behalf Every Step Of The Way

How to deal with a co-parent who is being uncooperative

On Behalf of | Jan 9, 2019 | Firm News |

If you are a single father (after a split with your partner), it is likely that you are doing what you can to give your child the best possible upbringing, despite the fact that you are no longer with their mother. It can be difficult to maintain a good co-parenting relationship with the other parent, and minor disagreements are bound to arise from time to time. However, if the mother of your child is being uncooperative and is affecting the way that you bond with your child, it might be time to think about taking action.

If you already have a child custody order in place, it is vital that both parents follow it. If one parent is not happy with the agreement, they should go back to the courts and give a valid reason why the custody agreement is not working. If you feel threatened by the mother of your child or if you are worried that they are going to sabotage your and your child’s relationship, it is important that you consider your actions carefully going forward.

Try to sit down and have a mature conversation

If you are unhappy with how your co-parenting relationship is going, a good first step is to sit down with the mother and explain your concerns, with possible solutions, in a neutral and non-aggressive way.

Consider co-parenting mediation

If solving the problem together is not working, mediation sessions might help you to work together better. It might be able to resolve underlying issues that are causing the problems in your co-parenting relationship.

Get ready to go back to the courts

If you are still struggling to have a positive relationship with your child as a result of the behavior of the other parent, the courts may be able to help resolve the situation. If the other parent is violating the custody order or if they are trying to manipulate your child, it is likely that the courts will want to make changes for the best interests of the child.

It is important that you stand up for your rights as a father in Tennessee and that you take action when necessary.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network