I have prepared a basic check list of
issues which should be considered and discussed with your attorney. The list is
intended to be general and broad in scope. Some items may not apply as part of
the negotiated settlement or preparation for trial.
1. Custodial arrangements for children.
3. Parenting plan.
4. Child support.
5. Medical, dental, hospital,
pharmaceutical and psychological expenses for the children.
6. Medical insurance for the children.
7. Cobra or medical insurance for
8. Income tax deductions regarding the
children - who will claim them.
9. Alimony/spousal support.
10. Division of personal property.
11. Division of real estate, transfer
12. Separate property - inheritance and
gifts from non-spouse.
13. Investments, including stocks,
bonds, savings and business interest.
14. Debts - handling of joint debts -
who is responsible for the debt.
15. Pensions, IRA accounts, 401K
16. Personal property including
furniture, furnishings, household goods, art and collectibles.
17. Motor vehicles including boats,
trailers and motor homes - transfer of title.
18. Income taxes - are they to be filed
jointly and the liability for payment of taxes or the distribution of any
refund. In order to file a joint tax return you must b married on December 31.
19 Bankruptcy issues - protection in
case one spouse declares bankruptcy.
20. Proper security and protection
regarding property division.
21. A hold harmless and indemnification
clause in case one spouse fails to live up to his or her obligations under the
terms of the divorce (i.e., one spouse fails to pay a joint debt, the paying
spouse can seek recovery for the debts paid on behalf of former spouse).
22. Spousal abuse and restraining
23. Restoration to prior maiden name.
24. Life insurance policies as
protection for child support payments, alimony - spousal support payments,
and/or property payments in the event of death.
25. Attorney's fees, mediator fees,
accountant and other expert fees and payment of same.
26. College education for children or
27. Private school education for
28. Clause such as payment for summer
camps and/or religious training and/or upbringing or other special situations
involving the children.
29. Change to Last Will and Testament
and power of attorney.